A Few Simple Steps, One Powerful Legacy
Naming the National Museum of the American Indian as a beneficiary is a flexible, yet impactful, way to support the museum into the future. You can name us as a beneficiary of your:
- IRA or other retirement plan
- Life insurance policy
- Commercial annuities
- Donor advised fund
When left to loved ones, your retirement plan assets are subject to income tax. But, when left to a nonprofit like the museum, we receive the gift tax-free, allowing us to put 100% of your hard-earned savings to work, ensuring we can continue to foster a richer shared human experience through a more informed understanding of Native peoples.
Watch this video to learn more
Giving in Action
Carol treasures the financial help she’s been able to give her children and the museum over the years. Carol recently updated her will to leave stocks and real estate to her kids and left the National Museum of the American Indian a $75,000 gift from her IRA to be transferred following her lifetime. Because the museum is tax-exempt, all $75,000 will help support our mission.
If Carol had left the IRA to her children, approximately $24,000* would have gone to pay federal income taxes—leaving only $57,000 for her family’s use. Carol is happy knowing she is making the most of her hard-earned money thanks to her updated estate plan.
*Based on an assumption of a 32% marginal income tax bracket.
Your Next Steps
- Contact your plan administrator to request a change of beneficiary form (or log on to your provider’s website to update your beneficiaries online).
- Decide what percentage (1 to 100) you would like us to receive and name us, along with percentage you chose on the beneficiary form.
- Return the form to your plan administrator and keep a copy for your records.
- Notify us of your gift so we can thank you and welcome you into the Legacy Circle.
We invite you to consult with us about the specifics of your situation and how they might translate into giving opportunities advantageous to you. Contact the National Museum of the American Indian at 202-633-6937 or firstname.lastname@example.org to start the conversation.
Legal Name: National Museum of the American Indian Address: PO Box 23473, Washington DC 20026-3473 Federal Tax ID Number: 53-0206027